I wrote about broken ties and such as "social organizational junk" and
urban communities as "organizational junk yards" in my "Ghosts of
Organization Past" (http://bit.ly/16llywd -- currently under review) --
idea being that organizations and networks don't really go away when they
die.  Instead they degrade over time, but have the potential for
"re-animation" when new resources appear and can be either obstacles or
opportunities to new organizing/intervention efforts.  A related concept of
the down-side of connection was "network noise" that happens when
perturbations meander across networks (when bad planning on your part
becomes and an emergency for me, whether I like it or not).

*Dan*
----
Dan Ryan <http://danryan.us/>
Kathryn P. Hannam Associate Professor, teaching in sociology and public
policy
Mills College <http://www.mills.edu/>, Oakland, CA.
http://blog.danryan.us/
http://works.danryan.us