Dear John,

Why would there only be two dimensions? (+, -, 0). It seems to me that this
design is also factor-analytical (positional). However, the factor-analysis
would provide dimensions to the nodes (variables) and not to the
interactions. Perhaps, one can use factor-scores for this.

The positional analysis assumes a vector-space that is constructed on the
basis of the correlations (= distributions of relations). One can normalize
the adjacency matrix using the cosine and then the network derived from that
matrix represents the vector space. The vector space has a different
topology from the network graph.

Best,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor, SPRU,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> University of
Sussex; Visiting Professor, ISTIC,
<http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html> Beijing;