Dear All,

Although I am far from expert, it also struck me, reading:

Evans, K. M. (1962) Sociometry and Education, The International Library
of Sociology and Social Reconstruction (London: Routledge and Kegan
Paul).

that the routine collection of negative tie information seems to have
declined. For school children, I can see that there would be ethical
issues. (What do you do if you discover everyone hates Johnson?)

It is hard to see that these negative ties would not have significant
effects in real networks and thus that models not dealing with them
would be in some way inadequate.

All the best,

Edmund
--
  Edmund Chattoe-Brown (Department of Sociology, University of
  Leicester, UK)