Ian - Concerning certification my background includes a long history of
opposing certification for management, decision-making or leadership.

The implied subtext of SNA in the Drone Program is that it is used
prescriptively versus descriptively. That is crazy, but it sounds good to
nut-jobs that hate the military.

Remember, the US Military is controlled by civilians. Drone target lists are
ultimately a civilian and political decision, of course. Insofar as SNA can
aid targeting opportunities descriptively, while leaving the final shoot
orders to the civilian/political masters, then it makes sense. A drone
strike is a complex geopolitical decision needing to be corroborated with
multiple agencies and governments. That's not a job for SNA.

As long a 'SNA Certification' is bounded as specific analytical techniques,
for professional analysts only, then certification may be okay.

However, the tendency and temptation is to believe technique certification
lends decision-making credibility or allows analysts to determine the
ultimate course of action. That is very dangerous and must be continuously
rejected. Decision making, robust management and strong leadership can never
be certified.

Certified analysts master technique not context.

-j