I wrote about broken ties and such as "social organizational junk" and urban communities as "organizational junk yards" in my "Ghosts of Organization Past" (http://bit.ly/16llywd -- currently under review) -- idea being that organizations and networks don't really go away when they die.  Instead they degrade over time, but have the potential for "re-animation" when new resources appear and can be either obstacles or opportunities to new organizing/intervention efforts.  A related concept of the down-side of connection was "network noise" that happens when perturbations meander across networks (when bad planning on your part becomes and an emergency for me, whether I like it or not).

Dan
----
Dan Ryan
Kathryn P. Hannam Associate Professor, teaching in sociology and public policy
Mills College, Oakland, CA.
http://blog.danryan.us/
http://works.danryan.us