Dear John,

Why would there only be two dimensions? (+, -, 0). It seems to me that this design is also factor-analytical (positional). However, the factor-analysis would provide dimensions to the nodes (variables) and not to the interactions. Perhaps, one can use factor-scores for this.

The positional analysis assumes a vector-space that is constructed on the basis of the correlations (= distributions of relations). One can normalize the adjacency matrix using the cosine and then the network derived from that matrix represents the vector space. The vector space has a different topology from the network graph.

Best,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor, SPRU, University of Sussex; Visiting Professor, ISTIC, Beijing;
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en