These may be relevant..

Rich

Ilany, Barocas, Koren, Kam, Geffen (2013) Structural balance in the social networks of a wild mammal. Animal Behaviour.
http://www.nimbios.org/press/FS_hyrax

Srinivasan (2011), Local balancing influences global structure in social networks

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/5/1751.full

The friend of my enemy is my enemy: Virtual universe study of structural balance
Szell, Lambiotte, Thurner (2010). Multirelational organization of large-scale social networks in an online world. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100719162510.htm
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/31/13636.full.pdf

Leskovec, Huttenlocher, Kleinberg (2010), Predicting Positive and Negative Links in Online Social Media
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/www10-signed.pdf
http://www.bcs.org/upload/pdf/jkleinberg-slides.pdf

Overview: Social Balance on Networks: The Dynamics of Friendship and Hatred
http://www.rit.edu/~w-cmmc/research/Tibor_Antal.pdf

Brandes, Lerner (2008), Visualization of Conflict Networks
http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/algo/publications/bl-vcn-08.pdf