I would like to announce the availability of our recent Wiley textbook
titled, "Social Network Analysis with Applications," intended as an
undergraduate or introductory graduate level textbook.  The book is
available at the following site:

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Network-Analysis-Applications-McCulloh/dp/1118169476

A short description of the book is provided below.

We are very pleased to present “Social Network Analysis with Applications.”
This book will focus on models and methods for social network analysis
applied to organizational risk. Current books in the area of social network
analysis are both highly technical and written at the advanced graduate
level or they only discuss general concepts and omit mathematical
calculations. Very few of the texts offer any practice problems for
practitioners and students to complete as practice problems or homework
exercises.

The inclusion of mathematical calculations is central to our approach in
this text. Many in the field prefer to present social network analysis by
hiding the mathematics and relying on computer software to identify
centrality. We contend that this is a critical mistake in the pedagogy of
network analysis. The authors have taught over 30 courses in social network
analysis to over 500 students with varied approaches and consulted with
many more colleagues. Those who have learned how to calculate centrality
measures by hand calculation, for example, are 11 times more likely to
retain an understanding of what the measures mean 1–3 months after the
course. Thus, it is not our contention that an individual would use hand
calculations on any real-world example. However, in learning to calculate
measures by hand, the mathematics leads to an understanding of the
underlying principles of social network analysis.

Many practitioners in industry, management, military intelligence, and law
enforcement have expressed a growing interest in social network analysis,
specif- ically focused on identifying organizational risk. We operationally
define organi- zational risk as vulnerability in the social network. This
could be a node high in informal power or a rare broker of resources. This
could be a point of influence for the diffusion of ideology. There may
exist many networks within an organization, such as a friendship network, a
resource network, or a knowledge network. One or more of these networks may
present organizational risk, while the others do not. In a military or law
enforcement application, organizational risk identifies targets for further
development and investigation. In an industry or management application,
organizational risk identifies informal power brokers that should be
included in management decisions, and potential vulnerability from lack of
redundancy. The authors attempt to present examples of both.

We hope you will check out this book.  See you all at the next Sunbelt.

Regards,

Ian McCulloh, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
Centre For Organisational Analysis