I am designing a mixed methods data collection.  I want to conduct a survey, free-list, and in-depth-interview of respondents.  What problems might exist with doing these at the same time.  For example, I might embed free list questions in a survey, or stop a survey and then do free-list, or do the free-list first.  I might do a in-depth interview before or after the survey.  I might use completely separate populations for each, however, that will reduce my sample size.  I am concerned that the completion of a survey might affect the free-list responses or vice-versa.

I would be interested in the communities thoughts on this issue as well as any academic papers that have explored bias associated with this problem.

Thanks.

Ian