Call for Papers

The Information Society
Connecting Fields: Information, Learning Sciences and Education (http://www.indiana.edu/~tisj/connecting_fields.pdf)

The ways in which people interact with information is evolving rapidly. For example, modern questions about life, love, and where to eat for dinner are negotiated over platforms such as Yelp or Instagram, and well established information environments such as Wikipedia, Twitter, and Reddit are being reconsidered as sites for situated learning. We are fast moving away from clearly demarcated technologies and arenas for information sharing or learning, and instead, evolving toward blended realms of public, peer-oriented interaction made possible by new social norms and technological affordances.

This blurring of boundaries affords an opportune moment to consider the connections between information and education, or the information sciences and learning sciences. We need to build bridges between fields, institutions, communities and practices. This blending and merging represents an analytical opportunity to decipher trends, institutionalized assumptions and norms, and conspicuous omissions.

We are soliciting abstracts that exemplify this bi-directional perspective, and bring together scholars from multiple fields interested in aspects of information, learning, and education. We welcome both empirical or conceptual works that: (1) critically integrate a lens from information science if the research is grounded in the learning sciences or education, or (2) rigorously incorporate a learning or educational lens if grounded in information science or related fields.

We hope that this special issue will be a foundational touchstone through which scholars across information science, learning sciences, and other cognate fields can build a new discourse. We encourage contributions that come from a wide range of perspectives, including (but not limited to):

Guest Editors:

June Ahn, PhD
Assistant Professor
College of Information Studies
College of Education
University of Maryland, College Park

Ingrid Erickson, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Library and Information Science
School of Communication & Information
Rutgers University

Submission Details:

Interested authors should submit a 300-400 word abstract with 3-6 keywords by December 15, 2013. Abstracts must address how the paper will highlight the bi-directional nature of the special issue theme.

All submissions will be reviewed by the guest editors, and authors will be notified of their selection by January 15, 2014. Selected authors will be invited to submit a full paper for the special issue and will receive feedback to help craft final submissions, which will be due May 1, 2014. All papers will undergo TIS’ standard peer review process. The publication date of the special issue, expected in late 2014, will be determined in concert with TIS editors.

Please send all submissions, questions, and correspondence to Dr. June Ahn at [log in to unmask]. Include “TIS Special Issue” in the subject title of your email.

Ingrid Erickson
Assistant Professor of Library and Information Science
School of Communication & Information
4 Huntington Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

email: [log in to unmask]