My first ever SNA project used terrorist videos of US deaths in Iraq and
Afghanistan.  I had a research team of students that classified 9 different
attributes of videos.  The videos became nodes.  If there were 6 attributes
in common we determined that there was a link between them.  This was based
on a phase transition threshold.  We ran several clustering algorithms to
identify groups of videos.  Reviewing the grouped videos allowed analysts
to identify forensic clues that would otherwise have been missed.  This
information was provided to military units in Iraq and Afghanistan to
apprehend the terrorists and bring them to trial.  The process was never
classified, but I was asked to refrain from publishing the project at the
time.

Ian McCulloh, PhD
Curtin University Business School