My first ever SNA project used terrorist videos of US deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I had a research team of students that classified 9 different attributes of videos.  The videos became nodes.  If there were 6 attributes in common we determined that there was a link between them.  This was based on a phase transition threshold.  We ran several clustering algorithms to identify groups of videos.  Reviewing the grouped videos allowed analysts to identify forensic clues that would otherwise have been missed.  This information was provided to military units in Iraq and Afghanistan to apprehend the terrorists and bring them to trial.  The process was never classified, but I was asked to refrain from publishing the project at the time.

Ian McCulloh, PhD
Curtin University Business School

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Bernie Hogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It's not exactly structural analysis, but its a good example of racial homophily and photos. Work by an old collaborator at U. Toronto on interracial friendships in wedding photography:

http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&type=summary&url=/journals/demography/v043/43.3berry.html

Take care,
BERNiE

Dr Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford

ABSTRACT:
"Friendship patterns are instrumental for testing important hypotheses about assimilation processes and group boundaries. Wedding photos provide an opportunity to directly observe a realistic representation of close interracial friendships and race relations. An analysis of 1,135 wedding party photos and related information shows that whites are especially unlikely to have black friends who are close enough to be in their wedding party. Adjusting for group size, whites and East and Southeast Asians (hereafter, E/SE Asians) are equally likely to be in each other's weddings, but whites invite blacks to be in their wedding parties only half as much as blacks invite whites, and E/SE Asians invite blacks only one-fifth as much as blacks invite E/SE Asians. In interracial marriages, both E/SE Asian and black spouses in marriages to whites are significantly less likely than their white spouses to have close friendships with members of their spouse's race."

On 2013-08-13, at 3:04 PM, Gilad Ravid <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Marten,

 I am working with celebs photos to create their social network. you can read more about it in.

Ravid, G. & Currid, E. (2010) Celebrities as Category and Group: An Empirical Network Analysis of an Elite Population. Sunbelt XXX, Riva Del Garrda, Italy
Currid-Halkett, E. & Ravid, G. (2013) 'Stars' and the connectivity of cultural industry world cities: an empirical social network analysis of human capital mobility and its implications for economic development, Enviroment and Planning A . 44(11)  2646-2663
Ravid, G. & Currid-Halkett, E.  (2013) The social structure of celebrity: an empirical network analysis of an elite population. Celebrity Studies

please don't hesitate to further discuss it,

Gilad

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.  ~Henry Ford

Gilad Ravid, Ph.D
Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Israel

http://www.ravid.org/gilad
Mobile: +972-544-905-391
Office: +972-864-72772
Skype: giladravid