While not directly referring to the concept of an "old strong tie",
Caroline Haythornthwaite provides the very useful concept of a latent tie.
 If I recall correctly, the term is used to distinguish social ties that
may develop when a new media is introduced into a social system.

Haythornthwaite, Caroline. 2002. “Strong, Weak, and Latent Ties and the
Impact of New Media.” *The Information Society* 18 (5): 385=401.

Kenny Joseph