Hey everyone,

I got to do some birding for work today!  It's a long story, but a couple co-workers and I spent the day birding in southern Osceola County.  We got to Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area at about 6 AM and birded there all morning.  We then headed up to Joe Overstreet Road at about 1:30 PM and spent a couple hours.  The birding was a lot of fun!  We ended up with 69 species for the day, including some UNEXPECTED ONES:

Black-Bellied Whistling-Duck (6 at Lake Jackson in Three Lakes)
Northern Bobwhite
Wild Turkey
Double-Crested  Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Snail Kite (1 at Lake Kissimmee at Joe Overstreet Landing)
NORTHERN HARRIER (1 soaring high east of Joe Overstreet Road not far from the Canoe Creek Road intersection)
Bald Eagle (several throughout the day)
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Purple Gallinule (2 at Lake Jackson, 1 at Lake Kissimmee)
Common Gallinule
Limpkin (several throughout the day)
Sandhill Crane
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (10 in a bare area of soil among the sod farms along Joe Overstreet Road; very distant, scope needed)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
White-Winged Dove (1 along Canoe Creek Road near St. Cloud)
Mourning Dove
Common Ground-Dove
Barred Owl (1 at Three Lakes)
Chuck-Wills-Widow (1 at Three Lakes)
Chimney Swift (3 in the middle of nowhere first thing in the morning at Three Lakes; roosting in a tree cavity?)
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER (2 along Joe Overstreet Road just south of the Canoe Creek intersection; unexpected for us!)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-Cockaded Woodpecker (3 at Three Lakes)
Pileated Woodpecker
Crested Caracara (3 along Canoe Creek Road)
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird (1 at Three Lakes)
Loggerhead Shrike
White-Eyed Vireo
Red-Eyed Vireo (1 at Three Lakes)
American Crow
Barn Swallow (several throughout the day)
Tufted Titmouse
Brown-Headed Nuthatch (4 at Three Lakes)
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Northern Waterthrush (1 at Three Lakes)
Black-and-White Warbler (1 in oaks near Joe Overstreet Landing)
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler (3 at Joe Overstreet Landing)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (2 at Three Lakes)
Prairie Warbler (3 at Three Lakes; 1 at Joe Overstreet Landing)
Eastern Towhee
Bachman's Sparrow (many still singing up a storm at Three Lakes)
Summer Tanager (3 at Three Lakes)
Northern Cardinal
Red-Winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Boat-Tailed Grackle

Three Lakes WMA and Joe Overstreet Road are located along Canoe Creek Road south of St. Cloud in southern Osceola County.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, FL (Orange Co.)