Dear all,

Newman did not represent the earlier literature very well. I would not
call 2002 "early work" for testing transitivity.
Earlier references are:

Martin Karlberg, Testing transitivity in graphs,
Social Networks, Volume 19, Issue 4, October 1997, Pages 325-343.

Martin Karlberg, Testing Transitivity in Digraphs,
Sociological Methodology,  29 (1999), 225-251.

Best,
Tom

Tom A.B. Snijders
Professor of Statistics in the Social Sciences
University of Oxford
Professor of Statistics and Methodology
Department of Sociology,
University of Groningen