Abigail,

It's a more general definition, but Coleman offers the following which is very useful for the SNA conceptualization of resources: "The resources each actor has which are of interest to others include a wide variety of things. The most obvious of these are what economists call private goods... But private divisible goods are only one of several kinds of things over which actors have control and in which they are interested... [T]here are several properties that distinguish types of resources... These properties are divisibility, alienability, conservation, time of delivery, and absence of externalities." (Foundations of Social Theory, pp.33-34)

One of Coleman's examples is information, which does not exhibit conservation. Eg, if I pass along a piece of information, the information remains with me. This is not true for private economic goods: if I pass along a piece of fruit, I no longer possess it.

David

****************************
David Shoham, PhD MSPH
Dept. Public Health Sciences
Phone: 708-327-9006
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> Abigail McHugh-Grifa <[log in to unmask]> 9/12/2013 9:37 AM >>>

Dear SOCNET community,
I am a Ph.D. candidate in Music Education at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY.  I am working on my dissertation, which uses a qualitative approach to SNA.  However, there is one piece of information that I am having a surprisingly difficult time finding, and I was wondering if you might be able to help me:  How is the term resource typically defined in SNA research?  Is there some article or book that you are aware of that explicitly defines what resources are from a SNA perspective?  Any guidance you might provide would be greatly appreciated.Thank you for your time,
Abigail McHugh-GrifaEmail: [log in to unmask]
Blog: happilyeducated.com