Yes, Barry... efficiency and effectiveness does do not make sense in an "emergent, unbounded" network -- the network emerges from individual, uncoordinated actions.  We look at things like efficiency and effectiveness in intra-organizational networks and other bounded business networks where we are trying to improve processes, exchanges, transactions, group functioning, etc.

Prof Kahn, if you have data on citation by year published/cited, add a year attribute to your link data and then you can display the links for whatever year combination you would like(70s, 80s, 90s...) or you can step through the network year by year, and measure at each place (either aggregate or singular year).  You could also look at how, over time, the network develops  -- includes people from various universities/countries/sub-disciplines... maybe measure increasing/decreasing diversity/homophily over time?

Valdis Krebs
http://orgnet.com
http://thenetworkthinkers.com