My book goes into detail on calculating centrality measures by hand to include examples and student exercises.  In experimenting with pedagogy of SNA I have found students are 11 times more likely to retain an understanding of structure and centrality when made to calculate them by hand.

McCulloh, Armstrong, johnson (2013) social network analysis with applications. Wiley.

Ian McCulloh, PhD