New post on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Journal Club

Oct 3, 2013 Journal Article: Open Defecation and Childhood Stunting in India: An Ecological Analysis of New Data from 112 Districts.

by jdaiv

Title: Open Defecation and Childhood Stunting in India: An Ecological Analysis of New Data from 112 Districts.

Oct 3, 2013 (Thursday) 4:05 PM

Location: HPNP Room G-108

Moderator: Amber Barnes

Join us for our discussion of this article that evaluates the relationship between open defecation and sanitation to childhood stunting. This study combines a recent large-scale data set, the 2011 HUNGaMA survey, with information on the distribution of open defecation from the 2011 Indian Census to better understand the link between sanitation and child stunting.

A recent Cochran Intervention Review addresses this issue on a broader scale, presenting the results of a meta-analysis evaluating current research on the effect poor sanitation may have on malnutrition.  We will focus our discussion on the Spears et al. 2013 paper, but the Cochran Review article provides useful background and complementary information and research.

Oliver Cumming, a co-author on both the discussion article and the review paper, will be visiting the EPI from Oct 13-16 and has agreed to present on the Cochran Intervention Review. Oliver is a collaborator and colleague of our own Dr. Rheingansmainly through their involvement with the SHARE Research Consortium.  Following that presentation, he has agreed to hold a short discussion with our members.  We will post the details for this exciting follow-up event soon.

Amber Barnes is a Doctoral student in the Department of Environmental and Global Health with interests in health disparities impacts on maternal and child health.

Citation: Spears D, Ghosh A, Cumming O (2013) Open Defecation and Childhood Stunting in India: An Ecological Analysis of New Data from 112 Districts. PLoS ONE 8(9): e73784. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0073784

jdaiv | September 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Tags: diarrheal diseaseIndiaopen defecation | Categories: Malnutrition,Open defecationSanitationStunting | URL: http://wp.me/p3pKgd-4O

Comment    See all comments    Like

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Journal Club.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Thanks for flying with [log in to unmask]"> WordPress.com

John D. Anderson
Research Coordinator
Rheingans Lab
Department of Environmental and Global Health, College of Public Health and Health Professions
Emerging Pathogens Institute
University of Florida
P.O. Box 100009
Gainesville, FL  32610
tel: +1.352.273.5466
fax: +1.352.273.9496

"You have received this email because you are subscribed to the WATERINSTITUTE-STU-L mailing list. To be removed from the list, send a message to [log in to unmask] containing this text in the body of the message: "SIGNOFF WATERINSTITUTE-STU-L"