WASH JOURNAL CLUB ARTICLE DISCUSSION

Join us for our first Fall meeting! We will discuss this article about problems of plastic bag waste in Nairobi.  The article presents the impacts of discarded plastic bags, such as increasing solid waste streams, preventing proper waste water drainage and providing mosquito breeding habitat. The author presents data on the distribution of the problem and some of the determinants driving this distribution.

Title: The urban political ecology of plastic bag waste problem in Nairobi, Kenya

Sept 5, 2013 (Thursday) 4:05 PM

Location: HPNP Room G-108

Moderator: Tess Ryley

Tess is a PhD student in Anthropology at UF under the advisement of Dr. Alyson Young.  She is a member of the Health in Africa Working Group here at UF.  Environmental health risks associated with plastic bag waste is part of her ongoing research in Senegal.

Njeru, Jeremia (2006). The urban political ecology of plastic bag waste problem in Nairobi, Kenya. Geoforum (37).  doi: 10.1016/j.geoforum.2006.03.003

About the WASH Journal Club:
We are a group of students, faculty and staff at the University of Florida who share an interest in the many facets of water, sanitation and hygiene research, interventions, and health impacts.  We meet biweekly on the UF campus in Gainesville, Florida to discuss selected articles and host presentations and speakers.  We have members from the  Department of Environmental and Global Health, the Department of AnthropologyEmerging Pathogens Institute, the School of Natural Resources and the Environment, and growing…Please join in our conversation, visit our blog and website (http://washjournalclub.wordpress.com/) and follow our events by email or follow us on Facebook or Twitter (@WASHJournalClub).

--
John D. Anderson
Research Coordinator

"You have received this email because you are subscribed to the WATERINSTITUTE-STU-L mailing list. To be removed from the list, send a message to [log in to unmask] containing this text in the body of the message: "SIGNOFF WATERINSTITUTE-STU-L"