Hi Jesse,

The statnet tools (which include the network package) will do many if not
all of this.  The visualization options are particularly nice if you are
interested in dynamic animations at some point, using the ndTV package.
An example of a network movie from an earlier version of the package is
here:

statnet.org/movies

best,
Martina

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, Jesse Sayles wrote:

> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hi SOCNET,
> I am curious if anyone can recommend one R package over another. I have been reading about the various packages and am
> a little confused about which would be best to use.
>
> I have a basic understanding of R, but have not done any network analysis with it. I have been using UCINET, which is
> great, but I want to start doing some things in R for efficiency sake and just to know how to do these analyses in R.
>
> I am not doing anything too fancy. I am calculating basic network measures (e.g. degree, betweeness) and want to be
> able to calculate subgroups (e.g. Girvan-Newman, Factions, K-cores, etc.). But maybe one day I will do fancier things.
> And of course I will want to visualize the networks in R.
>
> I also have to do a lot of mathematical transformations of my data and the UCINET matrix algebra interface is great
> for this (e.g. adding or multiplying corresponding cells across matrices).
>
> So, I would want to make sure that what ever R package I use can do all of these things, which they all seem to be
> able to do. This brings me back to my original question as to if someone can recommend one package over the other.
>
> Any advice on which R package to start learning would be welcome.
>
> Thank you
> Jesse
>
> --
> Jesse Sayles
> PhD candidateSchool of Geographical Sciences & Urban Planning
> Arizona State University http://geoplan.asu.edu/sayles
>

> _____________________________________________________________________ SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:        (206) 685-3402