Mason,

I would encourage you to look at the work of Dr. Kathleen Carley at Carnegie Mellon, www.casos.cs.cmu.edu.  She has been doing excellent work in this field since the late 1980s.  Her software, the organizational risk analyzer (ORA), was initially designed to handle multi-layered networks, meta-networks, and dynamic meta-networks.  A lot of the articles you cite in your paper are rediscoveries of her earlier work.

I also provide some elementary introduction to multi-layered or meta-networks in my undergraduate textbook, "Social Network Analysis with Applications" published by Wiley.

I agree that multi-layered networks is a fast growing field in network science.  Best luck in your research. I look forward to reading your future publications.

Regards,

Ian McCulloh, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
Curtin University Business School