***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Well, I hear two questions here. If you agree that the subgraph trick is fine, then your question might be "how many subgraphs" can Tulip handle? Many, many (we are working on other stuff were we need to consider 20 000 -- twenty thousands -- of them).

Or the problem might be just how many different colors do we have available? As many as RGB allows you to define -- but then there is a clear perception issue: just how many colors can a user usefully distinguish. I fear this might be around 7 - 10 (ask the ColorBrewer: http://colorbrewer2.org/).

Guy