Hi To All,

I am posting this notice with the permission of the FLORIDABIRDS-L
Listserv Owner.

I wanted to let you all know that the Friends of the Marine Science
Center will be sponsoring its next pelagic trip  on Saturday, Nov. 16.
This trip will leave at a civilized hour -- 6:00 a.m - 6:00 p.m.

We will be running out to the Gulf Stream.  This trip has had a number
of exciting birds in the past including Long-tailed Jaeger and
Red-billed Tropicbird. In 2011, we had an amazing 350 Cory's Shearwaters
and 4 Brown Boobies. Also, last year, I had 403 jaegers from shore in
just two hours. So we will be in the middle of prime jaeger migration
time.

The non-profit Friends of the Marine Science Center in Ponce Inlet is
sponsoring this pelagic birding trip on Saturday, November 16, 2013.

The trip will head out from the New Smyrna side of the Inlet to “The
Steeples” -- an area of sea mounts and upwellings on the western edge
of the Gulf Stream. This trip holds the probability of encountering
numerous pelagic species. Jaeger migration should be active.  This trip
is during the beginning of winter migration, when there are good chances
at fall migrants such as Manx Shearwater, and the possibility of winter
rarities.

Potential Species include (* = good probability):
Common Loon*
Black-capped Petrel (Seen on Nov. 2010 trip)
Cory’s Shearwater * (350+ seen in 2011)
Great Shearwater *
Sooty Shearwater
Audubon’s Shearwater *
Manx Shearwater *
Wilson’s Storm Petrel
Leach’s Storm-Petrel *
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel
Brown Booby    (Seen on Nov. 2009 and 4 on Nov. 2011 trip)
Northern Gannet *
Red-billed Tropicbird  (Seen on Nov. 2007 trip)
White-tailed Tropicbird
Red Phalarope *
Red-necked Phalarope *
Pomarine Jaeger *
Parasitic Jaeger *
Long-tailed Jaeger  (Seen on Nov. 2007 and Nov 2010 trip)
Sooty Tern
Bridled Tern *
Brown Noddy
Sabine’s Gull
Black-legged Kittiwake
Black Scoter *
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter *

The trip will be aboard “The Pastime Princess” a 100-foot,
all-aluminum boat with excellent observation areas on the upper deck and
bow and even a nice stern seating area. The cabin can also accommodate
30-40 in air-conditioned comfort.

The trip will LEAVE THE DOCK at 6:00 a.m. from the dock beside the
Dolphin View Restaurant on Riverside Drive near Canal Street in downtown
New Smyrna Beach and return about 5-6:00 pm.  You must be at the boat 30
minutes prior to departure; the boat will not wait for anyone who is
late. PLEASE MEET AT 5:30 a.m.

Participants can bring their own food and beverages, but food service
will also be available for breakfast and lunch at moderate prices.

Be sure to bring warm layered clothing, rain gear, seasickness
medicine, sunscreen and personal items.

For price information and to sign up please contact:
Michael Brothers
386-304-5543

Let me know if you would like to sign up.

Best wishes,
Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center