Hey everyone,

I spent the day with Stephen Presutti hitting some of the spots in Orlando/Winter Park, north-central Orange County.  There were a few highlights for the day (best being Philadelphia Vireo and Bay-Breasted Warbler) that I'll give details on in the lists.  We began the day birding on my street (Keystone Drive/Lake Pinelock) from 7:30 AM until about 9:

Wood Duck
Mallard
Pied-Billed Grebe
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Tricolored Heron
Green Heron
Osprey
Common Gallinule
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe (2)
White-Eyed Vireo (1)
Red-Eyed Vireo (1)
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Tufted Titmouse
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (1)
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Black-and-White Warbler (1)
Common Yellowthroat (1)
American Redstart (2)
Palm Warbler (3)
Northern Cardinal
Red-Winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Boat-Tailed Grackle

Incidentally, yesterday during a morning walk I got my 113'th species for the street........drumroll..........AMERICAN CROW!!  I was pretty surprised, actually!  Keystone Drive runs south from Michigan Street in the southern part of downtown Orlando, directly south of Boone High School.  It dead-ends at Lake Pinelock.  Next, we went to Mead Garden, arriving at 9:30 AM and staying until almost 1 PM:

Wood Stork (1)
Anhinga
Great Egret
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl (1)
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (1)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe (1)
White-Eyed Vireo (2)
Blue-Headed Vireo (1, my first of fall)
Philadelphia Vireo (2, along the amphitheater access road just to the north of the parking area)
Red-Eyed Vireo (1)
Blue Jay
Fish Crow
Tufted Titmouse
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (1)
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Black-and-White Warbler (3)
Common Yellowthroat (3)
American Redstart (3)
Black-Throated Blue Warbler (1 male)
Palm Warbler (10)
Pine Warbler (6)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (2)
Black-Throated Green Warbler (1, probably 1'st year male?)
Summer Tanager (1)
Scarlet Tanager (1)
Northern Cardinal
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (1)
Painted Bunting (2 females)
Baltimore Oriole (1)
House Finch

Barbara Taylor also reported a Swainson's Thrush in the same area where the Philadelphia Vireos were.  Mead Garden is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Orlando Ave.) and Orange Ave. in Winter Park.  Our final stop for the day after lunch was Leu Gardens, where we were from about 2 PM to 4:30 PM:

Double-Crested Cormorant
Anhinga
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Bald Eagle (2)
Red-Tailed Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Barred Owl (2)
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (2)
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
White-Eyed Vireo (1)
Red-Eyed Vireo (5)
Blue Jay
Tufted Titmouse
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (1)
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher (7)
Northern Mockingbird
Black-and-White Warbler (3)
American Restart (3)
Bay-Breasted Warbler (1, foraging in the oaks in the parking lot, BEFORE you need to pay to go in!)
Palm Warbler (7)
Pine Warbler (1)
Yellow-Throated Warbler (3)
Prairie Warbler (3)
Northern Cardinal
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (2)
Common Grackle

Leu Gardens is located near the intersection of US 17/92 (Mills Ave.) and Virginia Ave. in the northern part of downtown Orlando.

All in all, it was a nice day to be out birding around town.  We also tried to stop at Hourglass Lake Park to see what was around, but we found it was closed until January 31'st due to some construction or water issues.  We were disappointed, but we'll hit that beautiful little place again once it's back open.

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, FL (Orange Co.)