My favorite paper across all of social network scholarship uses ERGMs for
comparative network studies with some fun findings about the similarity of
congressional co-sponsorship to monkey grooming and cow-licking: "Comparing
Networks Across Space and Time, Size and Species"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1467-9531.00118/abstract

Mark Newman also has a review of several macroscopic network properties in
his 2003 review article (see page 10):
http://arxiv.org/pdf/condmat/0303516.pdf (citation to:
http://epubs.siam.org/doi/abs/10.1137/S003614450342480)

--
Brian C. Keegan, Ph.D.
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Lazer Lab

www.brianckeegan.com
M: 617.803.6971
O: 617.373.7200
Skype: bckeegan