Hi all!

Although the article, mentioned by Brian is a platinum classic of the
genre, I'm not sure if it's a good paper for jumpstart. Moreover, it uses
pseudolikelihood approach, which is considered to be outdated now (as far
as I know).

As far as I know, Martin Everett presented his approach to comparison of
the same network in different points of time based on QAP which in my
humble opinion is more comprehendible than ERGM. Can't find any reference
though, but it was presented in St. Petersburg 2 years ago.

But if you feel comfortable with all that maths, stats and simulations, you
should go straight to the papers and tools of Tom Snijders & Siena team and
Carter Butts & statnet-based papers.

Besides that I can suggest the following things on that topic (after a
brief glance into awesome book "Studying Social Networks"):

   - Newcomb, Theodore M. "The acquaintance process." (1961).
   - Powell, Walter W., et al. "Network dynamics and field evolution: The
   growth of interorganizational collaboration in the life sciences1."
*American
   journal of sociology* 110.4 (2005): 1132-1205.
   - Schnegg, Michael. "Blurred edges, open boundaries: The long-term
   development of a peasant community in rural Mexico." *Journal of
   anthropological research* (2007): 5-31.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Alex.