[log in to unmask]">                     [log in to unmask]">

University of Florida

Water Institute and Florida Climate Institute

Present

2013 Faculty Fellows Seminar

Friday, November 15, 2013, 2:00PM

At the Reitz Union Auditorium

[log in to unmask]" align="left" hspace="12" alt="http://waterinstitute.ufl.edu/../FacultyExpertise/images/137.jpg" v:shapes="Picture_x0020_4">Matthew J. Cohen, Ph. D.

School of Forest Resources and Conservation, IFAS

Title: Sometimes you can see a lot just by looking: How sensors are changing our understanding of rivers

Abstract: New measurement technologies have always facilitated new insights into ecological patterns and processes.  A transformation is ongoing in how we understand river ecosystems which has been enabled by the emergence of sensors capable of sub-hourly measurements across a wide array of solutes.  Starting with the basic conceptual model of rivers and nutrient dynamics, this talk will explore                  how sensors are changing what we can measure and how we measure it, and also yielding some surprises along the way.

Timothy Martin, Ph. D.

School of Forest Resources and Conservation, IFAS

[log in to unmask]" align="left" hspace="12" alt="Timothy Martin" v:shapes="Picture_x0020_3">Title: Long-term cooperative research in southern pines: The greatest good

Abstract: Gifford Pinchot, the first Chief of the USDA Forest Service, famously said that the US Forest Reserves should be managed “for the greatest good, for the greatest number, in the long term”. Similar statements could be made about long-term forest research.  Because even “short-rotation” southern pine plantations have multi-decade management cycles, research into issues such as carbon sequestration and sustainable management under changing climate are necessarily long-term

The Florida Climate Institute and the UF Water Institute are pleased to recognize faculty for outstanding contributions to interdisciplinary research, extension and education programs.

Join us live or via stream at http://mediasite.video.ufl.edu/Mediasite/Play/4a8883a7b4374611bc52018a6028559d1d