This morning, 11/4, I got up at 4:00 a.m. and raced across the state to look for the Townsend's Solitaire. Luckily, the bird made a series of appearances to the delight of a load of birders this morning. It was great to visit with many good birding friends.
Thanks to Ed Kwater for finding this awesome bird and Dave Gagne for helping us out this morning. I had to drive back to work by 9:30 a.m.

The wind was howling at the Inlet when I returned at about 25 knots out of the ENE. I left work in the late afternoon and stopped off at Ponce de Leon Inlet where there were three Black Scoters taking refuge inside the Inlet. I drove south to Canaveral National Seashore south of New Smyrna Beach and set up at the observation platform at Parking Area #4. The birds were fast and furious. Hundreds of Northern Gannets were streaming by. I had over 300 Jaegers (mostly Pomarine Jaegers with some Parasitic and one that looked like a good candidate for a Long-tailed Jaeger); 400+ Black Scoters; and the best bird of the day - a 1st winter Black-legged Kittiwake all in about 90 minutes of watching. One flock of jaegers had between 85-90 jaegers in it. One Black Scoter flock had about 200 Black Scoters. There were also some flocks of Lesser Scaup, a few Green-winged Teal and a small number of Northern Pintails. Continuous streams of Laughing Gulls with a smaller number of Ring-bills, Herrings and Lesser Black-backed Gulls cruised by.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL