This morning, 11/06, I stopped off at Ponce de Leon Inlet before work to check for any interesting birds blown in by the high winds. It was still windy, but much less so than the last two days. I did find a flock of 50+ Black Scoters, but little else beyond the usual gulls and terns. As I was scanning the inside of the Inlet, I found large flocks of gulls, terns and pelicans feasting on bait-fish. I was scanning through them looking for unusual gulls, when I found a small whitish head popping up occasionally on top of the rough waves. I soon realized it was very small. I kept getting brief looks at it until it flew a short distance several times and I could tell from the plain gray back that it was a lone Red Phalarope. That is the first Red Phalarope that I have seen in the Inlet.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL