Hello BESTers,

Solving our food waste problem will not only require social change but
advances in technology as well.  This week I have an article about
research out of Ireland on developing a plasma technology that kills
food spoilage microorganisms at room temperature.  The goal of this
technology is to extend the shelf-life of food, particularly for
packaged produce, which is particularly susceptible to spoilage and
waste.  It has the added benefit of reducing the carbon footprint of
shipping the produce, because slower, more efficient transportation
methods can be used.  While it is ideal to eat fresh, local, seasonal
food and only buy want you need, in a global food economy supporting
over 7 billion people, this isn't always feasible.  Therefore, any
advances that extend the shelf-life and reduce spoilage of food should
be considered as one of the many tools to reduce and eventually
eliminate food waste.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-researchers-bite-back-in-battle-against-food-waste-29810981.html

Irish researchers bite back in battle against food waste
Irish Independent
Darragh McCullough
December 5, 2013