Many CITASA and SOCNET folks have met Prof Kakuko Miyata (Meiji Kakuin
University) over the years.

I deeply regret that she died yesterday after a long bout with cancer.
We knew it was coming, but still is a shock.

Miyata-sensei was an early social network analyst in Japan and probably
the first to study the internet and society, with an article in
Haythornthwaite-Wellman, The Internet in Everyday Life.

She also collaborated with many NetLabbers a decade ago:

Barry Wellman, Anabel Quan-Haase, Jeffrey Boase, Wenhong Chen, Keith
Hampton, Isabel Diaz de Isla and Kakuko Miyata. 2003. "The Social
Affordances of the Internet for Networked Individualism." Journal of
Computer Mediated Communication 8, 3 (April):
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol8/issue3/wellman.html

Prof Miyata spent a fair amount of time in North America, based at the
Centre for Urban and Community Studies, University of Toronto, between
2002 and 2005. She also was a wonderful host to me, Bev Wellman, Bonnie
Erickson and Jeff Boase.

She and her students were currently writing an article for the special
issue on Social Networks of East Asia of the American Behavioral
Scientist. I hope that they will finish it as a memorial to her.

In addition to her achivements, we will remember Kakuko for the depth of
her character, her wonderful smile, and her wisdom. In all senses, she was
one of the loveliest persons I have ever met.

We all LOVED Kakuko. And will never forget her.

She leaves behind her daughter Maki Ikeda, finishing her doctorate in
social psychology, and her long time spouse, political scientist Ken'ichi
Ikeda

   Barry Wellman

   NetLab                        FRSC                      INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $20  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8