CFP
CSCW '14 (Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing) workshop
Designing Futures for Peer-to-Peer Learning
Sat. Feb. 15, 2014

Application deadline extended to: Dec. 3, 2013
Notifications: Dec. 16, 2013

Website: http://p2pl.media.mit.edu/
Submission email: [log in to unmask]

We welcome submission from diverse disciplinary backgrounds! Please forward to interested parties.

About the workshop

Open, online learning environments, such as MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) and open learning communities have been promoted as a way to expand equitable access to quality education. Such learning experiences are potentially enriched via extensive networks of peer learners. Even though challenges exist to realize these aspirations, open, online learning environments can serve as a mechanism for how we provide transformative learning experiences. This workshop aims to bring researchers, designers, and practitioners from diverse disciplinary backgrounds to explore how the body of CSCW knowledge can better support the vision of sustaining peer-to-peer learning in online environments.

Themes
We are interested in themes that leverage open and networked settings to engage learners from a diversity of backgrounds. These settings also include systems that enable learners to design learning experiences for other learners and any other emergent learning practices, peer-to-peer or otherwise, enabled by the networked and collaborative systems. The workshop topics and themes will revolve around these and similar topics listed below. We view these example topics as guide-posts:

  • Design of online learning systems
  • Peer-to-peer learning systems
  • Learning analytics
  • Equitable access and broad participation online
  • Crowdsourced evaluation and other assessment methods
  • Creativity
  • Accreditation
  • Badges
  • Mentorship
  • Peer feedback
  • Learning webs
  • Peer interaction and collaboration
  • Motivation and engagement
  • CSCW topics that push the boundaries of peer-to-peer learning
Plenary speakers
Jonathan Grudin (MSR),
Andrea Forte (Drexel U),
Philipp Schmidt (P2PU/MIT Media Lab),

Submission
Please submit a 2 to 4 page “vision” paper that connects to the workshop themes listed above. In this vision paper (in CHI Extended Abstract Format), select a setting or specific scenario related to online learning environments. Submissions should address three questions:

  • What problem space in open, online learning environments are you interested in?
  • What is your vision for addressing that issue or issues?
  • How would you plan to carry out that vision?

In addition, please provide a 100 to 150 word biography to describe your interests and skill sets you envision contributing to the workshop. We will review all submissions based on the relevance to the workshop themes, supporting a diversity of topics and disciplinary backgrounds.

Main Activities
Using the Futures Workshop approach, participants will generate critiques, co-create visions, and propose implementations for open, online learning environments. In small groups, the implementations will be presented/shared with other workshop participants. Please visit the workshop website for more information (http://p2pl.media.mit.edu/)

Outcomes
In addition to the implementations, we will discuss future steps to sustain a community of researchers and practitioners; e.g., partnerships, designs and implementation projects, plans for research proposals, symposia or panel proposals for conferences, new empirical studies to conduct, or publications to write.

Organizers:
Peyina Lin, University of Washington
Ricarose Roque, MIT Media Lab
Peter Wardrip, University of Pittsburgh
June Ahn, University of Maryland, College Park
Ben Shapiro, Tufts University