This morning Al and I found a Lesser Black-backed Gull at Pine Island in
Hernando County. The only thing that bothered us about the bird was that the
legs weren't bright yellow. I know that the fleshy parts can be variable. In
references we found later, it is reported that this species in adult winter
plumage can have fleshy or grayish legs.

Pine Island is 7.5 miles west of the traffic light at US-19 and SR-50. There
is a $2 parking fee. It is a tiny beach and may be packed today because of
the beautiful weather. We didn't find any other unusual species there,
though 2 American Oystercatchers were feeding off the platform at low tide.

We found 2 Reddish Egrets in the bay on the road to Pine Island. They were
feeding just after the sharp turn to the left, but before the first bridge.

Bev Hansen

Spring Hill, FL