If everyone did just a few hours of "owling" in the early morning the count would be out the roof.  Lee Snyder and I (separately) netted 70 Screech owls for the St. Pete CBC and that was in about 3 hours time.
Mauri Dietrich
St. Petersburg, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: David Laliberte <[log in to unmask]>
To: FLORIDABIRDS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Dec 23, 2013 5:31 pm
Subject: Eastern Screech-Owl CBC counts for the Tampa Bay area

Hi all:
The Saturday before this past Saturday, the 14th of December, I did the St. Pete CBC for owling. This past Saturday, the 21st of December I did the Pinellas North County CBC for owling.  I start the owling a minute after mid-night for these counts.
I have done the St. Pete owling count for a few years now normally I get between 50 and 100 screech owl responses. Ron Smith indicated to me that St. Pete CBC netted 170, including my 63 screech owls responses in that number.
The owling part of the North Pinellas County CBC is new to me. I was only able to call up 27 individual screech owls. Most of these were detected in the area Spanish Oak & Spanish Trail neighborhoods. These two neighborhoods are opposite sides of Curlew Road.
Eastern Screech-Owl pix
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/11521125055/
Happy CBC birding!
David Laliberte