MEMORANDUM

Date:     October 21, 2014

To:          All UF Graduate Students, Coordinators and Staff

From:    UF George A. Smathers Libraries

RE:          Today: Last Day to RSVP for UF Humanities Grant Writing Workshop

The deadline to RSVP for next week's Humanities Grant-writing workshop has been extended to October 21. We hope to see you there!

“So What?” How to Write a Statement of Significance in the Humanities

24 October 2014, Smathers Library 212, 2:00-5:00 pm (possibly ending earlier)

Led by Bess de Farber, Grants Manager for the Smathers Libraries at UF

This hands-on grant/fellowship proposal-writing workshop will focus on perhaps the most mystifying criterion of humanities grants: stating clearly the importance of the proposed work and its relation to larger issues in the humanities. In other words, how do we explain to our reviewers why they should care? In the first half of the workshop, we will discuss what makes a strong statement of significance in the humanities, drawing on examples of successful proposals. We will then work as a group to identify key themes across the humanities disciplines. In the second half of the workshop, we will move to the computer lab and work in pairs to revise our own statements of significance and debrief these through a group review process. Workshop participants will leave with applicable strategies for completing a polished statement that they can incorporate into a variety of funding proposals, from open-form fellowship narratives to structured grant applications.

·         This workshop is open to all UF faculty, staff, and students

·         Please RSVP to the Center for the Humanities and the Public Sphere by October 21 2014: [log in to unmask]

·         Workshop participants will be expected to bring a brief statement of significance with them to the workshop. More detailed instructions will be provided prior to the workshop

·         Lunch and refreshments will be provided

·         This workshop is made possible by funding from the CLAS Dean's Office and the UF Office of Research, in partnership with the Smathers Libraries at UF

Bess de Farber  is the University of Florida Libraries’ grants manager, and previously served as the University of Arizona Libraries’ grants manager. She has provided grantsmanship instruction throughout the past 27 years, and has led efforts to secure millions in grant funding for nonprofits and academic libraries. Her research interest is asset-based collaboration development. As a certified professional facilitator through the International Association of Facilitators, she invented the CoLAB Planning Series®, large group processes, for individuals and organizations seeking new collaborative partnerships. This process has served more than 1,760 individuals and 600 organizations since 2002. de Farber has served on grants panels for the National Endowment for the Arts, Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, Education Foundation of Palm Beach County, Arizona State TRIF (Technology Research Initiative Fund) Awards, and The Children’s Trust (Dade County). As program officer for the Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties and Palm Beach County Cultural Council she managed the allocation of funds for arts and culture, human and race relations, and social services. Price Waterhouse/South Florida magazine honored her as the Up & Comer for Community Development. She holds a Master of Nonprofit Management from Florida Atlantic University, and Bachelor of Music from the University of Southern California. She is currently working on her first book, Collaborative Grant Seeking: A Practical Guide for Librarians.