Good morning,

When I had online tutoring, we had almost all of our tutors work from our
tutoring center.  We didn't have a physical space other than inside the
center, but we did buy laptops for them to use for their tutoring.  In one
iteration, we had a conference room that they could use for their online
shifts.  We didn't have them tutor face-to-face and online at the same time.

The lead online tutor would work later hours (until 11 or 12, depending
upon the semester) and did so from home.  Our platform recorded sessions,
so we knew what was being done.  The advantages of having the online tutors
in the center was to provide accountability.  We also had resources they
could use.  All of our online tutors were our more senior tutors, and they
all had face-to-face shifts in addition to their online shifts, so they
maintained contact and exchanged ideas with their colleagues.  The biggest
detriment was that having online tutors work from the tutoring center
restricted the hours (we closed at ten), but I wasn't in favor of
encouraging students to wait until the last minute to get to work, so I
didn't see any real advantage (our students were local) to having tutors
available in the middle of the night.

Mary

Mary Early, Ph.D.
Director, Learning Support Center