That is great, Leonard.

One question, though: Do students voluntarily come to your center?  If so,
how do you address the motivation issue?  In other words, who is to say
that these students wouldn't have higher retention rates anyway?

Best,
-Marcia

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Roberta Schotka <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Leonard,
>
> That is brilliant, especially since it is so difficult to link grades
> directly to tutoring, given all of the other contributing factors.
>
> -Roberta
>

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Geddes, Leonard G. <[log in to unmask]
> >wrote:
>
> > Melissa and any others who are interested,
> >
> > I have attached part of a report that I sent up to the "powers  that be"
> > about the influence our services are having on the bottom line --
> > retention. In the past, we communicated how we were affecting academic
> > performance.  However, when it seemed like reporting how students were
> > improving academically was not generating the traction that we thought it
> > deserved, I decided to speak the administration's language by adding a
> > retention element to the report.  In short, we compared the re-enrollment
> > rates of students using our services to general student retention,
> athletic
> > teams, etc.  Our numbers rocked!  (I've attached an abbreviated report
> > since I don't think the administration would like us to share financial
> > info publically.)
> >
> > In the actual report, we put figures to the report by factoring in the
> > "real" revenue that is generated per student. For example,
> hypothetically,
> > if the overall retention rate was 70%, but our numbers were 86%, then we
> > showed numerically how much revenue 16% more students added to the bottom
> > line, thus showing that we are revenue generating.
> >
> > As a result of changing to reporting this way, our reports have been
> going
> > all the way up the chain to the Board.  Recently, they specifically
> > referenced our center and services in the new strategic plan!  We are now
> > preparing for a significant budget increase as well -- yay!
> >
> > I hope this is useful.
> >
> > Leonard Geddes
> > Associate Dean of Co-Curricular Programs
> > Director of the Learning Commons
> > Division of Student Life
> > Lenoir-Rhyne University
> > www.lr.edu
> > (828) 328-7024
> > (828) 328-7702 (fax)
> >
> > The LearnWell Projects Blog:
> http://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/thewell/

> browser to

Marcia Toms, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Undergraduate Tutorial Center
Division of Academic and Student Affairs
North Carolina State University
Campus Box 7118 / 101 Park Shops
Raleigh, NC 27695-7118
919.513.7829
http://www.ncsu.edu/tutorial_center/

Public Record Reminder: All electronic mail messages in connection with
State business that are sent to or received by this account are subject to
the NC Public Records Law.  They are retained and may be disclosed to third
parties.

Confidentiality: Nothing in the NC Public Records Law diminishes the
privacy protections afforded by federal law (e.g., FERPA, HIPAA, etc.)