From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacqueline Smith
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Academic Skills Coaching Services-Utilization

Terrie,
 I am a Writing Consultant with our Center for Academic Achievement and the Disabilities Services Representative, but have become the study and learning skills 'coach' as a bridge between these two services as well. We have recently begun to add a SWOT analysis section to our new student orientation in which I facilitate entering students defining their own needs, after which I introduce our services and help them see that these services are an 'opportunity' to address the 'threats' (thought I like 'barriers' better) to their success. I have seen a great buy-in by the students who attend this presentation and earlier access to the services. Additionally, we have partnered with divisions in the University to conduct a study skills inventory during first year experience classes and to include SMART goal planning and an action plan which includes working closely with faculty advisors.

A few years ago when surveying staff faculty and students about our services, the consistent message was to 'get out of the back corner of the library'. Since then, we have proactively sought partnerships with all departments to find opportunities to offer these kinds of early access to services and to increase awareness of the availability of them. Our workshop presence across campus has increased significantly and our numbers of students seeking supports has increased as well.

I hope this is helpful.
Jackie
Jacqueline M. Smith
Disabilities Services Representative/Writing Consultant [log in to unmask]@carlow.edu