From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Saundra Y McGuire
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Master's Degree Programs

We don't do tutoring for graduate students, but we DO provide learning strategies workshops and consultations.  What we've found is that most graduate students need strategies for mastering the concepts more than tutoring.  I've attached a presentation I've done for grad students in chemistry.  We've had lots of success helping them realize that it's the approach to their courses that needs altering, and that they don't necessarily need a tutor.

That having been said, some students will still benefit from tutoring, so I'll usually contact the professor to see if there's someone they can recommend.  Our center didn't have the resources to provide tutoring at the graduate level, so the student had to arrange and pay for sessions with a tutor if they decided to go that route.

Hoping this is helpful,
Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
(Ret) Assistant Vice Chancellor  & Professor of Chemistry Director Emerita, Center for Academic Success
433 Choppin Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225.578.6749 phone