Interesting observations, Marcia. At Angelo State, we see quite the opposite with online work. If I may, I like to present another twist to this conversation and talk about online quizzes, using College Algebra as an example. College Algebra has one of the highest DFW rates on our campus-in some years as high as 60%. Many students struggle in College Algebra, not just the less proficient. Faculty struggle as well to help students succeed in this core course. Almost all of the math instructors offer weekly quizzes, which is a promising practice-assessing students early and often. Some faculty offer weekly online quizzes with multiple attempts. Students can take and retake the weekly online quiz until they get the grade they want. What we have witnessed, however, is students will take the weekly online quiz, get a low passing grade on the first attempt, and then submit their grade. There is no incentive or push to try to do better or put forth more effort for a better grade. Unfortunately, this scenario continues for eight weeks, at when point the students bomb the midterm. They seem genuinely surprised they did not do better on the major exam.

I keep hearing Kay and Bryon McClenney's words in my head: "Students don't do optional." If we know something is important and will help students succeed, we have to create a mandate. Easier said than done. In examining the guidelines and ethics of online work, the burden is on us to show students not only what they need to do and how to do it,  but why the online work is important to the learning process. Using the Socratic Method, tutors and SI leaders should be trained to offer guidance in critical thinking-getting students to use new knowledge to solve problems as opposed to simply answering a question or plugging in an answer.

sal

Sara Weertz, M.Ed.
Executive Director, First Year Experience
ASU Station #10915
Angelo State University
San Angelo, TX  76909
(325) 942-2595