One of the core values of our division, Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, is to "develop and support our people."  Therefore professional development is an expectation at every level, every day.  We do it in varying ways:

Tutors: Tiered system of development through three levels of training (ITTPC via CRLA); regularly scheduled "Tutor Enrichment" sessions with topics presented and discussed; regular reflection and discussion with staff

Supplemental Instruction Leaders:  Tiered system of responsibility with leadership and mentoring built into progression; presentation and discussion of topics at regular staff meetings; regular reflection and discussion with staff

Peer Mentors (we call them Academic Skills Tutors): Tiered system of development through three levels of training (IMTPC via CRLA); regular reflection and discussion with staff from a variety of areas; and additional training requirements each semester

Front Desk Staff:  regular staff meetings with topics presented and discussed

We also provide our student staff the opportunity to attend the National Collegiate Leadership Conference held in Tucson each spring:  http://leadership.arizona.edu/org/nclc .

We have worked really hard to create a climate of excellence where we value development and learning.  You can read more about it directly from some of our student staff on pages 6-9 of the most recent issue of our online magazine, onesixtyeight:  http://issuu.com/thethinktank/docs/onesixtyeight_spring_2014__issuu_

Dorothy

Dorothy  Briggs
Director, THINK TANK
University of Arizona