You might be correct that we don't need another outlet. You are certainly
correct that existing outlets can and should be improved. But the former
sounds akin to saying "what's the value of Twitter when we have
{telephones, texting, websites, blogs}?"

StackExchange (SE) sites have a completely different incentive structure
for both asking and answering questions. I believe SE is more accessible in
the sense that it's easier to start a specific discussion and contribute to
it than in a wiki or listserv context. Wikis are actually a sub-feature of
SE. Topic specific chat rooms are also a sub-feature. SE is peer reviewed.
You can quickly get a sense for how knowledgeable a contributor is by his
or her reputation score which is determined in part by peer review. And the
new site will already be attached to a very popular collection of websites
(i.e., SE).

I recognize wikis offer many of these advantages. But personally -- and I
could well be a special case -- I find SE forums a bit more natural in
their use and organization.

Thanks for your thoughts. And I hope to hear more.

-Nate