Fabian-

The study at  http://spq.sagepub.com/content/75/2/149.abstract may be
somewhat useful to you. It uses data on a science training program and
gets information on identity and social structures, including some
network data. It's been a while since I read it closely, but the work is
solid from a social psychological perspective.

Merolla et al, 2012. Structural Precursors to Identity Processes: The
Role of Proximate Social Structures. Social Psychology Quarterly 75:2,
149-172.

Nathaniel Porter
Department of Sociology, Penn State University
Research Associate, The Association of Religion Data Archives (thearda.com)
Affiliate, Big Data Social Science IGERT (bdss.psu.edu)