Dear All,

I would like to do a comparison of different organisations and their
network structures (nodes are people, ties are frequency and usefulness
of contacts, sizes vary significantly from n=100 to n=1000; data is
survey-generated; key question was to identify the top 25 contacts from
a list of everyone in the organisation and then give details on these
contacts).

One of the metrics I would like to compare (and where comparison is not
straightforward at all, hence my email to ask for help / advice) is the
E-I index, i.e. the degree to which contacts are within teams or across
teams.

The difficulty is that team sizes and numbers of teams within an
organisation differ so much. For instance if organisation A has 10 teams
of 10 members each, every participant would have to nominate members
from outside their team to come up with 25 top contacts, hence the
degree of external contact might be higher by default than for an
organisation B with 2 teams of 50 members each, where each participant
could possibly nominate all 25 top contacts within their own team.
This is further complicated by the fact that not everyone participated
in the survey (i.e. missing ties), that not everyone nominated 25 people
(most people don't count and just use this as a rough guideline, or
insist on nominating fewer or more), so outdegree is not always 25 for
each member and of course this could vary by team as well (so members of
one team, e.g. HR might nominate more people disproportionately if
compared to the organisation's average because of their outreach role).

Now, if anyone has come across any discussion of those problems in the
literature, or anyone mathematically minded on the list has an idea on
how to normalise these metrics so that they become comparable, I'd be
very happy to hear about it!

Thanks in advance!
Best,
Kerstin