From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Raffaele Vacca
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Network Science on StackExchange

John,

I agree that existing wiki pages on Network Science/SNA should be improved
and not disregarded as obsolete technology, but I think they have a quite
different function and "usability" than a StackExchange site. Nate discussed
well some of the differences, which also explain why SE sites have quickly
become so popular in spite of the abundance of wikis, forums and listservs
on the same subjects (see the case of R). I think that ideally we as a
community should take care of all these tools, because all contribute a
different piece to the knowledge about this field that exists on the Web,
and to its accessibility by outsiders and newcomers. Thank you for the
feedback.

Raffaele

On 1/19/14, 12:03 PM, ND wrote:
> You might be correct that we don't need another outlet. You are
> certainly correct that existing outlets can and should be improved. But
> the former sounds akin to saying "what's the value of Twitter when we
> have {telephones, texting, websites, blogs}?"
>
> StackExchange (SE) sites have a completely different incentive structure
> for both asking and answering questions. I believe SE is more accessible
> in the sense that it's easier to start a specific discussion and
> contribute to it than in a wiki or listserv context. Wikis are actually
> a sub-feature of SE. Topic specific chat rooms are also a sub-feature.
> SE is peer reviewed. You can quickly get a sense for how knowledgeable a
> contributor is by his or her reputation score which is determined in
> part by peer review. And the new site will already be attached to a very
> popular collection of websites (i.e., SE).
>
> I recognize wikis offer many of these advantages. But personally -- and
> I could well be a special case -- I find SE forums a bit more natural in
> their use and organization.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts. And I hope to hear more.
>
> -Nate
>

> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM, John T. Maloney <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>

>     Hi - Stack Overflow is excellent as is Stack Exchange. However, IMO,
>     for the
>     moment, we do not need another destination for Socnet stuff. Happy to
be
>     vociferously overruled, but it probably makes better sense to improve
>     existing stores...
>
>     For example, did you know Socnet has a disused wiki?
>
>     https://www.socialtext.net/insna-socnet/
>
>     Rather than pouring on more destinations and technologies, it would
>     be far
>     more prudent to correct Wikipedia. For example, according to
>     Wikipedia, did
>     you know Facebook invented the social graph?
>
>     Hopefully, some clever and passionate Sunbelters will gather in St.
>     Peter to
>     examine and propose an strategy, architecture and roadmap for
>     solving this
>     perennial Socnet problem. If it is a proper agenda item or breakout
that
>     would be preferred.
>
>     For example, I'm eager to port these data into Wikipedia or the
>     recommended
>     destination medium/a...
>
>     https://sites.google.com/site/businesssna/
>
>     Ready to help in any/every way!