Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:24:52 -0600
From: Complexity Digest Administration <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [comdig] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://comdig.unam.mx

Multi-scale community organization of the human structural connectome and its relationship with resting-state functional connectivity

    The human connectome has been widely studied over the past decade. A principal finding is that it can be decomposed into communities of densely interconnected brain regions. Past studies have often used single-scale modularity measures in order to infer the connectome's community structure, possibly overlooking interesting structure at other organizational scales. In this report, we used the partition stability framework, which defines communities in terms of a Markov process (random walk), to infer the connectome's multi-scale community structure. Comparing the community structure to observed resting-state functional connectivity revealed communities across a broad range of scales that were closely related to functional connectivity. This result suggests a mapping between communities in structural networks, models of influence-spreading and diffusion, and brain function. It further suggests that the spread of influence among brain regions may not be limited to a single
characteristic scale.

Multi-scale community organization of the human structural connectome and its relationship with resting-state functional connectivity
RICHARD F. BETZEL, ALESSANDRA GRIFFA, ANDREA AVENA-KOENIGSBERGER, JOAQU═N GOĐI, JEAN-PHILIPPE THIRAN, PATRIC HAGMANN, OLAF SPORNS
Network Science , Volume 1 , Issue 03 , December 2013, pp 353 - 373
http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/nws.2013.19

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4014372903/2014/01/17/multi-scale-community-organization-of-the-human-structural-connectome-and-its-relationship-with-resting-state-functional-connectivity) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

From funding agencies to scientific agency

    The traditional peer review system for grant proposals is not always optimal. A new crowdfunding proposal based on advances in technology and mathematics could improve efficiency while retaining peer judgement.

From funding agencies to scientific agency
Collective allocation of science funding as an alternative to peer review
Johan Bollen, David Crandall, Damion Junk, Ying Ding, Katy B÷rner

EMBO reports
Early View

http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/embr.201338068

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4014372873/2014/01/17/from-funding-agencies-to-scientific-agency) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

On the biological and cultural evolution of shame: Using internet search tools to weight values in many cultures

    Shame has clear biological roots and its precise form of expression affects social cohesion and cultural characteristics. Here we explore the relative importance between shame and guilt by using Google Translate to produce translation for the words shame, guilt, pain, embarrassment and fear to the 64 languages covered. We also explore the meanings of these concepts among the Yanomami, a horticulturist hunter-gatherer tribe in the Orinoquia. Results show that societies previously described as 'guilt societies' have more words for guilt than for shame, but the large majority, including the societies previously described as 'shame societies', have more words for shame than for guilt. Results are consistent with evolutionary models of shame which predict a wide scatter in the relative importance between guilt and shame, suggesting that cultural evolution of shame has continued the work of biological evolution, and that neither provides a strong adaptive advantage to either shame
or guilt. We propose that the study of shame will improve our understanding of the interaction between biological and cultural evolution in the evolution of cognition and emotions.

On the biological and cultural evolution of shame: Using internet search tools to weight values in many cultures
Klaus Jaffe, Astrid Florez, Cristina M Gomes, Daniel Rodriguez, Carla Achury

http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.1100

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4014372832/2014/01/17/on-the-biological-and-cultural-evolution-of-shame-using-internet-search-tools-to-weight-values-in-many-cultures) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Urban Mobility Scaling: Lessons from `Little Data'

    Recent mobility scaling research, using new data sources, often relies
on aggregated data alone. Hence, these studies face difficulties
characterizing the influence of factors such as transportation mode on
mobility patterns. This paper attempts to complement this research by
looking at a category-rich mobility data set. In order to shed light on
the impact of categories, as a case study, we use conventionally collected
German mobility data. In contrast to `check-in'-based data, our results
are not biased by Euclidean distance approximations. In our analysis, we
show that aggregation can hide crucial differences between trip length
distributions, when subdivided by categories. For example, we see that on
an urban scale (0 to ~15 km), walking, versus driving, exhibits a highly
different scaling exponent, thus universality class. Moreover, mode share
and trip length are responsive to day-of-week and time-of-day. For
example, in Germany, although driving is relatively less frequent on
Sundays than on Wednesdays, trips seem to be longer. In addition, our work
may shed new light on the debate between distance-based and
intervening-opportunity mechanisms affecting mobility patterns, since mode
may be chosen both according to trip length and urban form.

Urban Mobility Scaling: Lessons from `Little Data'
Galen Wilkerson, Ramin Khalili, Stefan Schmid

http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.0207

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4014372211/2014/01/17/urban-mobility-scaling-lessons-from-little-data) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

4th Student Conference on Complexity Science

    The Student Conference on Complexity Science (SCCS) is the largest UK conference for early-career researchers working under the interdisciplinary framework of Complex Systems, with a particular focus on computational modelling, simulation and network analysis. Since 2010, this conference series has brought together PhD students and early career researchers from both the UK and overseas, whose interests span areas as diverse as quantum physics, ecological food webs or the economics of happiness. This interdisciplinary nature of the conference is reflected by the diversity of keynote speakers as well as practical, hands-on workshops.

The 4th Student Conference on Complexity Science will be held 19-22 August 2014 at the University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

http://sccs2014.soton.ac.uk

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxconferences/p/4014092635/2014/01/13/4th-student-conference-on-complexity-science) , via CxConferences (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxconferences)

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://www.scoop.it/u/complexity-digest ) and using the "Suggest" button.