Dear Ion,

I and a few others have been working on this network for some time,
although not exactly the one offered by the E-Enlightenment project.
Stanford used their, and other, metadata in the Mapping the Republic of
Letters project (http://republicofletters.stanford.edu/). Another project
out of Oxford, Cultures of Knowledge (http://www.culturesofknowledge.org/)
has been working on a catalog of letter metadata (
http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/) with 60,000 letters, and is still growing.
The CKCC in the Netherlands (http://ckcc.huygens.knaw.nl/) has built a tool
allowing the browsing of about 20,000 letters (
http://ckcc.huygens.knaw.nl/epistolarium/#), and a fairly sparse and poorly
formatted catalog of about a million letters held in Dutch libraries also
exists in database form as the CEN (
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=https://blog.associatie.kuleuven.be/peterverbist/cen-catalogus-epistolarum-neerlandicarum/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcen%2Bepistolarum%26espv%3D210%26es_sm%3D93
).

I have a (still very drafty) forthcoming article on a preliminary analysis
of the various datasets here <http://www.scottbot.net/HIAL/?page_id=40149> (
http://www.scottbot.net/HIAL/?page_id=40149), if you're interested in more
details.

Unfortunately, none of the datasets are currently openly accessible,
although from my experience, the groups are amenable to collaboration.

Best,
Scott B. Weingart

--
-scottbot.net <http://www.scottbot.net/>