Hi Marten

At the Oxford Internet Institute we developed a simple interactive network
visualiser using HTML5 and Javascript on top of the sigma.js library. It
allows for panning, zooming, community filtering, and node data attribute
display. A working example (of our Twitter network) can be found here:
http://oxfordinternetinstitute.github.io/InteractiveVis/network/ (it is
also in use in our Facebook data capture application NameGenWeb:
https://apps.facebook.com/namegenweb/ )

For your purposes, my colleague Scott Hale has packaged the project into a
neat exporter plugin for Gephi, which will respect the layout, node sizing,
and colour options of a Gephi workspace and generate a self-contained zip
file for students to explore a network visually in any modern web-browser.
Essentially one would just lay the graph out as required, and then use the
exporter plugin to translate this into an interactive web page. You can
find the plugin here: https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/sigmajs-exporter/

If you are somewhat experienced with web-programming (specifically
Javascript) you might be best looking at the sigma project itself, which
can be found here: http://sigmajs.org

Unfortunately these methods only provide the capacity for visual
exploration (they do not calculate any graph metrics themselves). With that
said, any attribute data stored in the graph file will be carried over into
the interactive visualisation, so centrality measures (for example) which
are easily accessible in Gephi can be inspected in the browser attribute
panel after clicking a node.

Do let me know if you have further questions.

Joshua Melville
DPhil Candidate
Oxford Internet Institute,
University of Oxford