Hi Marten

At the Oxford Internet Institute we developed a simple interactive network visualiser using HTML5 and Javascript on top of the sigma.js library. It allows for panning, zooming, community filtering, and node data attribute display. A working example (of our Twitter network) can be found here: http://oxfordinternetinstitute.github.io/InteractiveVis/network/ (it is also in use in our Facebook data capture application NameGenWeb: https://apps.facebook.com/namegenweb/ )

For your purposes, my colleague Scott Hale has packaged the project into a neat exporter plugin for Gephi, which will respect the layout, node sizing, and colour options of a Gephi workspace and generate a self-contained zip file for students to explore a network visually in any modern web-browser. Essentially one would just lay the graph out as required, and then use the exporter plugin to translate this into an interactive web page. You can find the plugin here: https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/sigmajs-exporter/

If you are somewhat experienced with web-programming (specifically Javascript) you might be best looking at the sigma project itself, which can be found here: http://sigmajs.org

Unfortunately these methods only provide the capacity for visual exploration (they do not calculate any graph metrics themselves). With that said, any attribute data stored in the graph file will be carried over into the interactive visualisation, so centrality measures (for example) which are easily accessible in Gephi can be inspected in the browser attribute panel after clicking a node.

Do let me know if you have further questions.

Joshua Melville
DPhil Candidate
Oxford Internet Institute,
University of Oxford